University of Nottingham Museum
Voted Nottinghamshire Heritage Site of the Year 2014 – The University of Nottingham Museum first opened in 1933 when Felix Oswald, District Probate Officer of Nottingham donated his collections to the University. This included the material he excavated at the Roman settlement of Margidunum at Bingham in Nottinghamshire and the internationally important collection of Samian Roman pottery.
The Museum contains a wide variety of archaeological objects that tell us about the everyday lives of people living in Nottinghamshire and the wider East Midlands (Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Lincolnshire) over a 250,000 year period.
The Museum is currently involved in a Collections Development Programme (supported by Arts Council England) enabling easier access to the collections and supporting their continued research. This project is managed by Mark Laurie (Collections Manager) with assistance from Anja Rohde (Collections Access Officer) and a large group of Museum volunteers. This work is passed on through a wide programme of school projects, teaching, lunchtime lectures and gallery tours, a wide variety of public events, regional and national festivals and exhibitions and displays. For contact details click here.
Major Arts Council funding award
The Museum has recently been awarded more than £300,000 from Arts Council England’s Museum Resilience Fund.
Aimed at supporting development opportunities which will make organisations more sustainable for the future, the award will enable the museum to re-imagine the ways in which the public can engage with its extensive collections. Read more in our press release.