Nottingham Lakeside Arts and The University of Nottingham

Nottingham Lakeside Arts was established by The University of Nottingham in September 2001, when the Pavilion housing the newly built Djanogly Theatre first opened, adding to the University’s pre-existing arts buildings of the Djanogly Gallery and Djanogly Recital Hall. NLA’s ongoing development is entirely due to The University’s continued financial support for the core programme, as well as its support of Knowledge Transfer initiatives, through collaborations and partnerships with UoN students, academics and staff.

Nottingham's first civic college was founded in the city centre on public subscription in 1881 and was transformed following relocation to University Park in 1928. This move and the opening of the iconic Trent Building were a result of Jesse Boot’s extraordinary philanthropy and remarkable vision. The University is rightly proud of its reputation for excellence in teaching and research which makes it one of the top Universities in the United Kingdom, and a top 75 Global University. Equally, the University has maintained its strong roots within the local community and can be equally proud of the cultural resource which has been created at its south entrance.  
 
The University is extremely grateful to a number of donors who have generously supported the arts developments at Nottingham Lakeside Arts, including Sir Harry and Lady Djanogly, Thomas and Patricia Angear, and Edgar and Judith Wallner. Their philanthropy has been crucial to Lakeside’s expansion and progression, welcoming almost 3 million visitors since 2001.   

Top Facts about Lakeside:

  • The Djanogly Recital Hall was recognised as one of the UK’s Top Ten venues in Classical Music Magazine July 2012 
  • The Museum of Archaeology has twice won Museum of the Year in the Nottinghamshire Heritage Awards
  • Wheee! International Children’s Theatre and Dance Festival has attracted more than 100,000 children and families since it began in 2005
  • Following a gallery expansion in 2011, the Djanogly Art Gallery’s LOWRY exhibition attracted 46,800 visitors
  • Lakeside’s education programme engaged more than 30,000 children, young people and students in participatory experiences in the last 12 months